Our team is highly skilled, passionate about our community, and we care. Let’s grow together.
Municipal Law Enforcement Officer
Who We Are
In Whitby, we are dedicated to our work, our community, and each other. We work hard, we have fun, and we celebrate our successes.
The Town of Whitby is a community in transformation that is located in the heart of Durham Region in the eastern Greater Toronto Area. Whitby is the second-largest municipality in the region and one of the fastest-growing communities in Canada. Located on Lake Ontario and only an hour east of Toronto, the population of Whitby is expected to grow from 140,000 to more than 200,000 by 2031. Whitby’s Official Plan has been updated to establish new directions for Whitby’s planned growth and development; the protection of our natural and built environments; urban design intensification; sustainability; community improvement; and, new employment within this time frame.
The Town of Whitby combines a small town atmosphere with the sophistication and amenities of a larger urban centre. Whitby boasts two beautiful heritage downtowns, one of the finest recreational harbours with an award-winning marina, year round sports and recreation activities, parks, trails, and a robust arts and culture scene, all of which are part of the extraordinary amenities that Whitby residents enjoy every day.
Whitby has an exciting and aspiring future, with a community that is welcoming, growing and transforming. On our team, you can expect to make a difference through your work and have a direct impact on shaping our growing community. Creating an inclusive environment where employees experience job satisfaction and have rewarding careers is important to us. We live our values and foster a culture of collaboration, accountability, respect and engagement where people enjoy coming to work.
We want to be the preferred employer for the most talented people who care about the Town of Whitby, and are excited and proud to serve our vibrant community.
Let’s grow together.
What You Will Get To Do
- the investigation, documentation, and prosecution of by-law infractions;
- coordination of joint enforcement measures;
- obtaining quotes from contractors;
- emergency property standards measures;
- conflict resolution;
- report writing;
- providing guidance and direction in matters related to by-law enforcement; and
- other duties as may be assigned.
Who You Are
What You Bring To Our Team
- a two (2) year post-secondary diploma in law enforcement, law and security administration, police foundations, or related discipline;
- designation as a Certified Municipal Law Enforcement Officer (MLEO(C)) through the Municipal Law Enforcement Officers’ Association;
- Completion of the Basic Municipal Law Enforcement Course sponsored by the Municipal Law Enforcement Officers Association of Ontario;
- designation as a Certified Property Standards Officer (CPSO) through the Ontario Association of Property Standards Officers
- a minimum of two (2) years of directly related experience including administration and enforcement of Municipal regulatory by-laws, the property standards by-law and zoning by-laws;
- proficiency in a Windows based environment, and a demonstrated knowledge of the MS Office Suite (including MS Word, Excel and Outlook);
- an understanding of database applications;
- successful candidates will be required to provide a satisfactory police record check to the Corporation as a condition of employment; and
- successful candidates are required to hold and maintain a valid Province of Ontario Class “G” Driver’s License and qualify for the Town’s Safe Driver Program criteria.
What We Offer You
- Salary: $32.28 – $40.36 per hour
- A comprehensive benefits and pension program to ensure that your total compensation package addresses both your work and life needs