As a Maintenance Repairperson I, you will apply your technical skills to complete construction, maintenance and repair tasks on timber, metal and concrete structures throughout the City of Edmonton. This position uses their construction expertise to ensure projects in skate parks, outdoors fitness centres, splash pads and playground are completed on time, within budget and in accordance with the City’s safety policies and procedures. You will succeed in this role if you have excellent interpersonal skills and a strong technical foundation – and the drive to seek answers to anything you might not know, whether it’s by asking a team member or researching in a manual.
Some key responsibilities will be to:
- Participate in the construction, assembly and repair/replacement, preventative and planned maintenance of playspace structures and other parkland structures
- Construct and install various structures or components (i.e. playgrounds, furniture, skateparks, outdoor fitness etc, which require understanding of general carpentry practices
- Repair and alter various Playspace assets and equipment (not covered in warranty agreements) which may require some general skills in cutting, shaping and fabrication of materials
- Assemble and install signage in various locations
- Construct shelving, cabinets, concrete forms, barricades, sandwich boards (signage), which includes designing and fabricating as required
- Maintain and organize the shop area
- Repair of small tools, hammers, shovels, sledges, axes and brooms, sharpening of shovels, chainsaws, lopers etc.
- Perform work within standard safety and environment requirements
- Other related duties as required
- Completion of Grade 10
- Experience in small scale building and mechanical maintenance and repair work of structures including timber structures and metal structures, such as boardwalk, staircase, railings, park bridges and playground equipment
- Canadian Playground Safety Institute (CPSI) certification is an asset
- Current first aid certificate and WHMIS certification are assets
- Skid steer and ground disturbance training/certification are assets
- Skill in the use and care of tools and equipment in class, including 1- and 2-ton trucks, pulling enclosed and flatbed trailers, mini hand and power tools and various construction equipment
- Knowledge and skills in carpentry and general construction practices in order to perform its duties, as well as a general knowledge and understanding of other trades
- Ability to read sketches and blueprints
- Understanding and knowledge of occupational health and safety standards and procedures
- Strong communication skills and excellent customer service skills
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written instructions
- Physical ability to perform the assigned work, including ability to work in various types of weather and environment and the manual dexterity to use a variety of shop power tools
- Valid Alberta Class 5 driver’s licence (or provincial equivalent). Obtaining and maintaining a City Driver’s permit is a requirement of this position
- Successful candidates may be fit for a respirator, and compliance with the City of Edmonton’s Code of Practice for Respiratory Protective Equipment, including medical monitoring, is a requirement of this position
- Embrace the Cultural Commitments of Safe, Helpful, Accountable, Integrated and Excellent, and foster an environment that encourages others to do the same
- Applicants may be tested
At the City of Edmonton – Parks & Roads Services, the long-term success of serving our citizens is implemented by the actions of exceptional leaders who exemplify our Cultural Commitments of being Safe, Helpful, Accountable, Integrated and Excellent. As a leader in our branch, your role will be to inspire and cultivate our vision and cultural commitments while championing continuous improvement in your area of responsibility.
We are an equal opportunity employer.
We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
Hours of Work
: 40 hours per week
: $32.819 (Hourly)
Talent Acquisition Consultant: