Are you currently working and have experience as a Physician and also interested in immigrating to Canada? We have wonderful news for you! Canada considers Physicians as highly-skilled workers which qualify individuals for many Canadian programs like Express Entry and Provincial Nominee Programs.
Job Description (NOC 3112 – General Practitioners and Family Physicians)
A physician is a medical doctor, who has completed graduate training to provide health care. However, not all doctors are physicians. Physicians diagnose and treat inuries or illensses. They often consult patients on mulitple aspects such as hygiene, diet, and preventive healthcare.
Salary Average: $126,413 CAD per year
To work in Canada as a Physician there are several requirements in order to qualify for a work visa. In order to qualify for immigration to Canada as a doctor and work in Canada as a physician you would need to graduate from medical school, pass the medical exam, and pass several other requirements. Below we will explain how to immigrate to Canada as a physician step-by-step.
Step-by-Step Immigration to Canada for Physicians
- Hire an Immigration Lawyer – There are many documents and requirements for those looking to work and live in Canada. An immigration lawyer will help you organize these documents and requirements to find you the best path for Canadian immigration.
- Find out which province you want to reside – Depending on which province you want to move to will determine the requirements you must reach to work in Canada.
- Have an approved medical degree from a university listed in the World Directory of Medical school.
- Apply and qualify for a Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada.
- Complete at least 12 months of post graduate clinical medical training.
- Receive an official certfication.
Visa Options for Foreign-Born Physicians Immigrating to Canada
Since Physicians are currently in high demand in Canada, there are many ways to immigrate to Canada as a Physician. Here are some of the most popular ways you can do so:
Canada’s Express Entry Program is aimed toward skilled workers who wish to move to Canada. To be considered eligible for this program, your occupation will need to be grouped in skill level 0, A, or B. Physicians are eligible to apply for permanent residency in Canada through the Federal Skilled Worker Program, managed by the Express Entry system.
Provincial Nominee Program
This program allows you to immigrate to Canada if you are a skilled or semi-skilled worker and have a valid job offer that is needed in a particular province or territory. Each province or territory has its own PNP with in-demand occupation lists intended to meet the individual needs of its labour market. This will require that you send an Expression of Interest to relocate to the relevant region.