Job Category: Legal Services
Division & Section: Legal Services, Legal Administration
Work Location: Metro Hall, 55 John Street
Job Type & Duration: Permanent, Temporary, 18 Months
Hourly Rate and Wage Grade: $31.89 – $34.95 Wage Grade 8,TF0260
Shift Information: Monday – Friday, 35 Hours per Week
Affiliation: L79 Full-time
Number of Positions Open: 11
Posting Period: Feb-09-2021 – Feb-23-2021
Reporting to the Manager of Legal Council Liaison, the Legal Assistant 2 in provides legal administrative support services to the Solicitors/ Managers/counters in the Litigation, Prosecutions or Planning and Administrative Tribunal Law sections:
- Transcribes Solicitor’s notes and type’s correspondence, legal opinions, factums, notices of motion, court forms, pleadings, affidavits, books of authority, applications to Tribunals and other legal documents. Formats document according to prescribes legal requirements and submits same to Solicitors for review.
- Formats documents, drafts letters for manager and/or Solicitor’s signature.
- Prepares draft agreements By-laws, utilizing precedents and information provided by the Solicitors.
- Prepares and processes legal documents/forms such as insurance claims, notices of motion, etc., from police reports and information provided by Solicitors.
- Compiles information related to cases, as requested or requested, prepares and processes requests for disclosure. Organizes evidence, dockets, disclosure, affidavits, witness statements, procedural orders, pleadings, correspondence, factums, and trial briefs and other documents as requested. Ensures that court dates, due dates and limitation dates are diarized and brought to the Solicitor’s attention.
- Coordinates the service and filing of legal documents, including arranging service with a process server or appropriate legal official upon receipt.
- Arranges appointments and appearances with Courts, Special Examiners, other Solicitors, external consultants, and representatives from City Divisions. Coordinates meeting arrangements when required.
- Sets up and maintains correspondence, document, and case files and other legal material utilizing the corporate record management system.
- Maintains current standard form agreements, legislation, By-laws and precedents. Requisitions files from other Divisions and certified copies of decision and By-laws. Arranges for title searches and corporate searches as required.
- Responds to inquiries and exchanges information regarding litigation, planning, prosecutions other legal matters with Solicitor’s, enforcement staff, representatives from other municipalities, and all levels of staff from City Divisions, Agencies, Boards and the public.
- Prepares the submission of petty cash reimbursements, mileage claim forms, and other administrative matters.
Your application must describe your qualifications as they relate to:
- Considerable experience in providing legal administrative support handling a broad range of standard office practices and procedures of which must relate to the duties listed above.
- Experience with preparing, processing and editing/formatting various legal documents, including, notices of motion, court forms, pleadings, factums presentations, disclosure and preparing correspondence for signature.
- Experience arranging/co-ordinating meetings, appointments or schedules.
- Experience working with various filing systems including the management of large volumes of information, hard copy and/or electronic.
- Experience working efficiently within Adobe Pro
You must also have:
- Proficiency utilizing a variety of MS Office applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, including attention to detail, ability to set priorities, meet deadlines, deal with conflicting priorities and work demands
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing, at all organizational levels, including the political level
- Familiarity with various legal documents, e.g. notices of motion, court forms, pleadings, factums, and how one document relates to another
- Working knowledge of specialized legal terminology and phraseology
- Good knowledge of municipal operations, policies and procedures, Provincial Offences Act and Council proceedings
- Knowledge of office systems and procedures, with the ability to identify problems and inefficiencies and to develop effective solutions
- Knowledge of information/records management and records management systems
- Ability to exercise independent judgement, diplomacy and discretion in dealing with legal matters
- Ability to perform duties with minimal supervision
- Ability to work overtime, if required
NOTE TO INTERNAL FULL-TIME AND PART-TIME CITY OF TORONTO EMPLOYEES:
City of Toronto employees must apply to full-time or part-time employment opportunities posted on the City’s Internal Job Posting Portal.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
The City is an equal opportunity employer, dedicated to creating a workplace culture of inclusiveness that reflects the diverse residents that we serve. Learn more about the City’s commitment to employment equity.
The City of Toronto is committed to creating an accessible and inclusive organization. We are committed to providing barrier-free and accessible employment practices in compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Should you require Code-protected accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please make them known when contacted and we will work with you to meet your needs. Disability-related accommodation during the application process is available upon request. Learn more about the City’s Hiring Policies and Accommodation Process.